(water splashing)(laughing) - is she okay? (edgy guitar music) - so we're here at thesanta monica swim center, and we have olympic goldmedalist chris mears to teach a bunch ofregular people how to dive off of that three meter springboard. he's an olympic gold medalist,how bad ass is is that? - i have a participation award.
yeah, we're ready for this! - alright, let's do it. - i think it's gonna bereally interesting today to see how these guys geton because they're a bunch of people that haven'treally tried diving before. - i'm used to being on a bike,going up and down mountains in the pouring rain. jumping off a high divefor like three seconds can't be too bad.
- i played water polo inhigh school and i also swam. i hated waking up so early in the morning so i switched to choir. - so i actually swam. i'm on a masters swim team,but i'm definitely not used to diving three meters. - my ending goal is justto not fall on my face and have that filmed for everyone to see. - i'm gonna have you guys jumpoff of the three meter board
first just so that youget used to the idea of kind of throwing yourself off of it. - okay, so i'll fuck it up first, and then you can do it properly. - i want to crawl to theend of the board right now. - arms up. woo, nailed it! - should i, like, run up to it? - no, walk to the end.
you're gonna start rightonto the edge of the board. let's do some rocks firstto get the board moving. (water splashing) good job, it was good for a first jump. - this is already a lot higher than i could've ever imagined. look at how far down that is. - there he goes. (laughing)
what happened here, hecut off all of his height, which meant that he almosttook his ass off on the board. - [ricky] michelle, how scary is it? - shut up, ricky. - when you're ready, go. out of everyone in roundone, you came out on top. round one success. when i was 15, i basicallyhad a virus that meant my stomach and my throatwere really swollen.
my spleen ruptured andnow i don't have a spleen. there were moments wheni kinda just wanted to throw in the towel and give it all up because it was all too much, but every time i got tothat point i ended up just realizing that therewas more to my career. so essentially what i'm goingto do is introduce you guys to a dive without actuallyhaving to do any jump. then from there all you haveto do is literally fall.
- i can do that. - [chris] bend forward fromthe hips and keep your legs real nice and straight. you definitely jumped with your legs. - i just want to get it over with. - remember to keep your legsstraight and don't jump. don't like arch up, just make sure you're like that, alright? nice and thin, yeah.
- i think i definitely did something wrong and kind of landed on my back. - you ever do somethingand you're just like if i die doing it, at leasti've got a good story. - stop that, man!(laughing) - bend down more if you can. - [ricky] pop that bootylike kim kardashian. - [chris] now you're gonnafall in three, two, one. - i can't!(laughing)
oh my god, i just couldn't do it, dude. - my turn. - [ricky] wow. - like literally you knowwhen you're watching a movie and you see that pointof view when someone's jumping off a buildingand like about to die, that's what it felt like. - the hardest part of my road to rio was definitely moving awayfrom my family and my friends.
it's very kind of difficultwhen you have a vision to do something but then you then realize you have to give up yourfriends, your family. and like my dog, i couldn'tsee my dog anymore. but yeah, as i said before,it was all worth it, yeah. when you jump, you're then going to jump and go into a tuck and thenkick out and land in a dive. - how? what, no wait, i need anintsant replay of that
'cause i do not understand. - i need the prayer hands. i need everyone's blessings. - three things, the jump, andthen in and out of the tuck real quick, and then by that time, you'll already be hitting thewater with your hands out. he didn't tuck. - i hit my balls and i maynot be able to have children now after that.
- okay, one more time. that was the embarrassingmoment i was talking about. - confidence, that's what chris said. - yeah! you totally killed that. it was so smooth. it was great. no more i can't. - yeah, i can.
- splay your hands. don't grab your hands, yeah? then rock with the board. - i grabbed my legs. that was like half the battle. - winning an olympic gold medalwas a life-changing moment for so many reasons. it felt so incredible tostand there and have something to represent all the hard work
that i put in all these years. - being up there and doingthat on the most basic level was like so intimidating. like, i can't believe you do what you do. - as a whole, you guys did really well. like for none of you to back out and actually not take off the board. i mean, we did hear a bit of i can't. but, you know, you still wentand you still gave it a go.
as a whole, yeah, it was really good.